Do you want to present math from a biblical perspective, but need ideas and a framework from which to start? Are you looking for fresh inspiration for your math class?
Building on the principles presented in Beyond Numbers, this manual will help you modify and “fill in the gaps” in your curriculum.
This in depth book shows us how to teach math biblically from the tot learning to count through exponents and roots. It challenges us (and teaches us) to move from biblical thinking to practical use of math, rather than completing a number of pages and memorizing formulae. There are a few worksheets and extensive appendices giving history and understanding of various math methods, how to make and use various styles of abacuses and more. For Christians, I believe this book is a “must read” to complement any math curriculum.
– Joyce Herzog, Choosing & Using Curriculum
Revealing Arithmetic is a spectacular book! It will be required reading for all of my “Math Ed.” students.
– Jay Auxt, engineer, author, speaker, and adjunct instructor at Antietam Bible College
I have been studying and thinking about how to acknowledge God in math and science for many years, and this is the first book I have seen that is easy to read with very useful and practical assignments for the younger students, pre-K to about grade 6.
– James Bartlett, executive director of the North Dakota Home School Association and Biblical Concourse of Home Universities (View entire review.)
In Revealing Arithmetic, you’ll get ideas and inspiration to help you
- Reinforce a biblical worldview and worship the Lord in math.
- Teach your children to really understand concepts and think mathematically as opposed to merely memorizing mechanics.
- Transform everyday activities and objects into math lessons, teaching your child to use math as a real-life tool.
- Make and use an abacus in your teaching, as well as explore other historical methods and symbols that help children really view math as a tool and better understand our modern method.
In a day and age when God has been tragically left out of education this is a truly valuable resource that places God in His rightful place–not just as the focus–but as the SOURCE of all our numerical investigations. I refer to it often to keep us from getting bogged down in the daily grind of arithmetical calculations, formulas, rules, “curriculum,” etc.
– Deidra R., homeschool mom
From a review published in the Homeschool Enrichment Magazine:
Revealing Arithmetic is the perfect reference work to assist homeschoolers teaching math to students of all ages. Whatever curriculum you are using, this book explains math concepts in clear, easy-to-understand principles from the Word of God…After reading Revealing Arithmetic for myself, I spent several weeks reading the chapters aloud with my children. We were awed by God’s sovereignty over all of creation; His constancy that sustains all of the principles we use each day; and our complete dependence on Him each moment.
– Lea Ann Garfias, Homeschool Mom and author of the blog “Whatever State I Am” (View entire review.)
- Usable with a variety of grades and learning styles – Concepts covered range from counting to exponents (view the Table of Contents), making it appropriate for supplementing a pre-K through about grade 6 curriculum. Since math builds on itself, students in even older grades can also use the book as a review to help them get a firm foundation for upper-level concepts. Because of the format and structure, you can easily take or modify the information for your particular child’s ability and interests.
- Includes examples of modifying a typical curriculum presentation – Each chapter (with the exception of counting) walks through modifying a typical curriculum presentation, illustrating ways you could modify your textbook to convey the principles and goals discussed.
- Easy to use, with concepts nicely broken out by chapters and listed in an Index.
Available as a printed copy for $19.99 or an e-book for $19.99.
More than 200 full-sized pages.
This afternoon an unusual event occurred in our home. As I sat on the couch reading through the chapter on counting in Revealing Mathematics with my 2nd born child, I began to cry. Now, it is not wholly strange for me to mix crying with math. But I have never cried in thankfulness to God over it. Patience and I continued to talk through the chapter about His great provisions (including math). It was to me the most blessed math lesson ever.
– Cassandra H., homeschool mom
I just wanted to send you a big thank you for writing Revealing Arithmetic! I was getting so discouraged trying to find a math curriculum that was as rigorous as our current one (Horizons), but also contained a Christian Worldview. I’m so glad I now have a worldview resource that I can use alongside our favorite math curriculum!
Order your copy today!